Well after a long week, I have finally arrived and settled in to our Portland "condo". But here is what the last week has brought me:
All 140 JVs gathered at Camp Adams in the woods of the Cascade Mountains just outside of Portland. From day 1, we began to practice all the JVC Northwest core values including: simplicity, social justice, community, and spirituality. Each day was filled with a lot of information, but also some great activities. Every morning we woke up for a wonderful breakfast prepared by the amazing staff at the camp and then transitioned into some morning wake-up music. We brought back all the childhood songs, such as "head, shoulders, knees and toes" but then transitioned into many other inspiring songs such as "I've got my eyes set on freedom" and many more. Although I was having a lot of trouble this week, the staff and my community was very, very supportive. I even met my first Spiritual Director, Jack. He has run the orientation for decades, but this year he has handed it over my my Area Director Julia (who is AMAZINGLY WONDERFUL).
Anyways, we were very blessed to be at Camp Adams, with numerous paths around the "hills" and I even got to see the tips of Mt. Hood on a clear day. At night we star gazed and searched for the current meteor shower, which actually just turned into a few shooting stars (we were a little early). But overall, I met so many wonderful people from all over the country, even a few from Minnesota, Wisconsin, and the Chicago area! Granted I am the minority because I did not attend a Jesuit college, but I am still representing the Norbertines well.
Yesterday, August 11 my housemates and I moved into our wonderful home right above the JVC Northwest office. It is an 8 bedroom, 2 bath home with a huge kitchen, family room, and porch. We have two plots in a community garden, and a street filled with young Portlanders. My housemates are Jackie and Kara from the LA area, Justin from Washington, Nick from Ohio, Steph from Iowa, Sarah from Maine, and Cara from Cape Cod. I have a feeling that this is going to be a great year filled with laughter and tears. We also have so much support from former JVs; we were even given dinner last night by our support team already.
I know this is going to be a very tough year feeling with inner turmoil and maybe even some community hiccups. But as JVC Northwest says, you will be "ruined for life" after this year of service! Let the challenges begin.
No comments:
Post a Comment