Wednesday, 7 November 2012

I can't believe it has been 3 months already!


Well, I am beginning to see and feel the difference between the Midwest and the Northwest.  It has just turned into fall weather with all the leaves changing, but still remaining 60 degrees and I have only heard cold things about the Midwest.  I will just have to see how the rest of the winter plays out, but right now I am loving it! Not to mention I fell in love with Washington this past weekend.  JVC Northwest held the first of three retreats in Monroe, Wa.  The camp is located on over hundred acres of forest because it was meant to feel as though you were “living” in nature.  The A-frame common area building looks out on to a small lake surrounded by pine trees and rolling clouds.  In my mind, this was a perfect setting for a retreat, to get away from the city chaos and draw nearer to the purpose of the retreat: community and right relationships.
            I came into this year feeling as though the value of community would be pretty easy.  I mean I have been a part of many communities in the past and I thrived.  However, putting eight strangers in a house (real world?), sharing money, living simply, and serving at various placements, it causes challenges that you never thought would occur in a community or with roommates.  At retreat, we were able to dive into our visions for the house as well as have some one-on-one time with the other community members to discuss our strengths and barriers in that relationship.  I was blown away by the community of JVC (the 55 Cascade region JVs) coming together, not really knowing each other and feeling as though we are somehow all related and experiencing similar daily lives because of JVC being our base.  The last night we all came together to perform skits indicating what a day in the life of our house looked like.  Of course, they were all quite humorous, but we could relate to everyone’s skit in someway.  After this night, I realized that this was the organization, community, ecosystem that I was meant to be a part of. 
            Now at my placement there are definitely days where I want to pull my hair out or fall over in exhaustion.  Talk about jumping into your first full time job with a bang!  Our numbers for breakfast have doubled and I am sure I look like I have no emotion or patience for anyone.  Of course one youth has let me know how stern I have become since beginning there and it really made me think about how I am becoming numb to their situations and not even thinking about their needs.  Granted I still run around caring for them, answering their questions, grabbing them a toothbrush, making coffee but I don’t take a breath to realize that I am serving homeless youth who have experienced a wide range of challenges including abuse, neglect, addictions, jail time and so much more.  I have been in Portland for almost 3 months now, and I have already become numb! Every time I stop and take in what I am doing I become so disappointed because I have stopped becoming an advocate for the youth and started becoming another disciplinary that they want to push away.  There are youth that I have to tip toe around to not trigger their mental illness or aggravate them if they are on drugs.  Some youth I can joke around with and be myself and others I avoid because I do not know how to approach them or I am scared to approach them, which is pretty minimal at this point in time. 
            Nevertheless, the relationships that I have built with some of the youth have completely changed my view on those experiencing homelessness and those who are trying to redeem their life.  Some days I get to have conversations and others I am just there to listen.  They need someone to support them, give them a little lift to pave their pathway to a more substantial life. Some youth have so much fight in them to make their life right again, but others are not willing to forgive their guardians or fix the mess that they created.  Every youth who walks in our door has difference experiences creating such a diverse environment.  After just 3 months of serving, I am proud to say that I am a part of this diverse, chaotic ecosystem that provides support to a community of youth who deserve a chance to make it!

No comments:

Post a Comment